All you need to know about the ongoing scholarships in Nigeria
Being a citizen in Nigeria is already hard enough, so as a student, I relate to your grievances. The country is facing some setbacks in its educational institutions nationwide and you’re scared you won’t have the opportunity to begin or continue schooling because of incompetent authorities.
If your financial situation now also isn’t all too encouraging, and you feel it’s inhibiting you from pursuing your higher education, your country may not be all bad as you thought. Nigerian scholarships are available front, left, right and center and I’ve reduced the stress in your side to search the web for them. Interested in one? You should read on.
There are more scholarships organizations and foundations in this country than you know, some you may have heard of, others sound new but have actually been there for the longest time. Some individuals or groups of persons saw the financial needs of students and individuals hindering them from pursuing their studies head-on, and took the initiative to establish life-changing and impactful financial aid foundations and organizations built especially for people like you and I.
Some Nigerian scholarships are offered by the local, state or federal government, privately-owned foundations, organizations or companies to students. Most of the scholarships are in stipend forms, some ranging from N100,000 to N500,000. They vary in issuing date and stipend longevity.
Curious about these scholarships? Let me give you a rundown of the ongoing scholarships available for you this year as a Nigerian student.
Top Scholarships To Study In Nigeria:
These are ongoing scholarships in Nigeria for undergraduates, masters, and PhD for Nigerian students.
Sources of these scholarships include, but are not limited to:
- Federal Government scholarships for Nigerian students
- State Government scholarships for Nigerian students
- Oil companies’ scholarships for Nigerian students
- And other sources of scholarships
ExxonMobil Undergraduate Scholarship:
In more effort to promote the growth and development of the educational sector of Nigeria, Mobil Producing Nigeria (MPN) which is the operator of the NNPC/MPN joint venture contract provides scholarship every year to eligible students in the undergraduate level in Nigerian universities. The company believes that investing in education will assist in building human capacity in Nigeria.
MTN Foundation Undergraduate Scholarships:
This scholarship sponsored by the MTN foundation, is open to all undergraduates in their second year in any of Nigeria’s higher institutions of learning. MTN is one of the biggest telecommunication service providers in Nigeria and this is part of their corporate social responsibility program. It is an annual award awarded specifically to students who have proven their worth in their chosen academic field of study.
The awardees are provided with tuition, book allowance and stipends as part of the scholarship. To be eligible for this scholarship, you must be a full-time student in any science or technology related course.
NNPC/TOTAL National Merit Scholarships:
This scholarship program is available to eligible Nigerian students in institutions of higher learning such as universities, polytechnics, monotechnic, colleges of education and so on.
It is made possible by the duo of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and Total Upstream Companies in Nigeria (TUCN) in partnership with other members of their joint venture contract. It is an annual program which awards students who meet its requirements and show their passion for education respectively.
Federal Government of Nigeria Scholarship for Undergraduate, NCE, HND and Post- Graduate:
The Federal ministry of education offers students in the various institutions of higher learning a chance to be a part of the interviews for award of scholarships in different Nigerian institutions.
Applications for postgraduate scholarship program must be made by applicants who have at least a second class upper from their first degree. Other applicants who are undergoing various undergraduate programs, are required to be in second year of study and above in any Nigerian university, polytechnic, monotechnic or college of education.
They are also to have a minimum of 4.0 CGPA on a scale of 5 points or a benchmark of a corresponding value as at the time of application for this scholarship. This requirement is applicable to physically challenged people as well. With this, it is safe to say this scholarship is awarded based on your credits and merit.
Shell Undergraduate Scholarships in Nigeria:
Shell Petroleum Drilling Company (SPDC) popularly known as Shell is in charge of The University Scholarship Scheme. It is a scholarship program managed by Shell in representative capacity for the NNPC/Shell/Elf/Agip Joint Venture. It is a bold statement of the company’s copious determination to ensure educational growth and consequently, human capacity development in Nigeria.
Aptitude tests are conducted every year as part of the screening to qualify students for the scholarship program. Over 4,000 undergraduate students in Nigeria are to sit for the tests every year for a chance to attain the scholarship.
To be eligible for the screening process, applicants must first submit copies of their UTME and SSCE results from which the applications with the best results will be notified to go on to the next stage of screening– the aptitude test.
PTDF National Undergraduate, Masters and PhD Scholarships in 2022:
PTDF stands for the Petroleum Technology Development Fund. This scholarship opportunity offered by this fund is open to all students, whether Nigerian or foreign, who are studying any course in a Nigerian university. It is open to undergraduate, master’s degree and PhD degree students.
Best Scholarships For Nigerian Students to Study in Nigeria And Abroad 2022/2023
- NNPC/Total Undergraduate Scholarships
- KPMG Nigeria University Scholarship Program
- NNPC/Eroton JV Undergraduate Scholarships
- NITDA Postgraduate Scholarships
- Oando Graduate Accelerated Program
- NNPC/SNEPCo National University Scholarship
- Wema Bank Plc 2022 Bankers-In-Training (Sales) Program for Nigerian Graduates
- Oilserv Limited 2022 Graduate Trainee Program for Recent Graduates
- USIP 2022 Generation Change Fellows Program for Nigerians (Fully Funded)
- Kaduna State Government Kashim Ibrahim Fellowship 2022 for Young Nigerian Leaders
- Goethe-Institute 2022 Nigeria Grants for Nigerian Artists and Cultural Experts
- Citibank Nigeria EMEA Graduate Analyst Program 2022 for young Nigerian graduates
- National Energy Law 2022 Essay Competition For Nigerian Undergraduate Varsity Students
- Nigeria Higher Education Foundation (NHEF) 2022 Scholars Program for young Nigerian Undergraduate
- Jagal Foundation 2022 Lagos State University (LASU) Indigent Students Scholarship Award
- Delta State Bursary and Scholarship Board 2022 Bursary Application for Delta State Indigenes | How To Apply And Application Processes
- Albert Baker Fund 2022 for African Christian Scientists
- USADF-All On 2022 Nigeria Off-Grid Energy Challenge (up to $100,000)
- ONE 2022 Champions Nigeria Program (one-year volunteer program) for young emerging Leaders
- NerdzFactory 2022 Design School Lagos Program
- Kashim Ibrahim Fellowship 2022 Fellowship Program for Young Nigerian (Funded)
- Teach for Nigeria Fellowship 2022 for University Graduates and Young Professionals
- Junior Chamber International 2022-2023 Ten Outstanding Young Persons of Nigeria (JCIN TOYP) Award Program
- Standard Chartered Bank 2022 Smart Credit Education Loan for Nigerian Students
- FATE Foundation/CBI Youth Inclusion in Nigeria’s Ginger Sector Training Program
- Nigerian Students Poetry Prize (NSPP) 2022 for Nigerian Undergraduates [N500,000 in Cash Prizes]
- Canada Scholarships 2022-2023 for Post-Secondary International Students
- Anambra State 2022 Talent Data Bank Recruitment Into Public/Political Offices
- Civic Hive 2022 Innovation Fellowship for Early-Stage Civic Innovators
- Enugu State Bursary 2022 Scholarships For Medical Students
- Youth in Agri-food Export Development Program (YAEDP) 2022 for Nigerians
- JCI Nigeria 2022 Creative Young Entrepreneur Program T
- Associate Graduate Program Scholarship by Pricewaterhouse Coopers (PwC) 2022/2023
- Osun State University (UNIOSUN) 2022 Staff Volunteer Group Scholarship for Indigent Students
- Baker Hughes Ignite 12-month Graduate Internship Program 2022 for young Africans
- Assurance & Tax Associate Graduate Program Scholarship by Pricewaterhouse Coopers (PwC) 2022/2023
There you go! The ongoing scholarships for Nigerian students to study in Nigeria or abroad. You can choose any of the numerous scholarships listed above and get free higher education in Nigeria. You shouldn’t waste time!
if you missed the application of one you wanted to try for this year, don’t be disheartened. Most of the scholarships are awarded every year so you can try out as many times as you want.
I sincerely wish you luck in your application processes and a good study year. Till we meet again!