We are pleased to introduce the British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM for the 2023–2024 academic year. The Scholarship provides five completely funded scholarships for female students enrolled in programs that qualify as part of a collaboration with the British Council. The scholarships are intended to aid underrepresented girls and women in scientific fields.
Read on to learn more about the British Council Scholarships For Women In STEM!
Check out the British Chevening Scholarship 2023/2024 – Apply
Reasons For The British Council Scholarships For Women In STEM Program
According to the United Nations Scientific Education and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) statistics, less than 30% of researchers worldwide in 2019 were women, and only 30% of female students chose STEM-related fields for their higher education. However, this number has been slowly increasing to 35%.
This scholarship program aims to increase opportunities in STEM for girls and women (Anon, 2022).
According to a topic breakdown for 2017–18, the percentage of women studying STEM fields was especially low. Computer sciences, engineering, and technology have a male-gender ratio of 19% compared to 81%.
Compared to their peers, who scored 61 and 63%, physical sciences, mathematics, and statistics scored higher at 39% and 37%, respectively.
See The Latest USA College Scholarships Grants and Fellowships for Local and International Students
What The Scholarship Entails
To apply for the scholarship, you must:
- Be a female (cis or trans) or identify as non-binary.
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Thailand, or Vietnam.
- Pass the Pre-Sessional English Program at Middlesex University or meet the English language requirement for your degree.
- Have never pursued advanced education in the UK at the university level or higher.
- Present evidence of your income.
- The British Council Scholarship for women in STEM is looking for female candidates who can enroll in the course of study in the UK for the academic year beginning in September or October 2023 and ending in September or October 2024, who can show a need for financial assistance, who have an undergraduate degree that will allow them to enroll in one of the pre-selected postgraduate programs at a UK university (for Masters level), or who have finished all requirements for a Ph.D. within the last three years (for Early Academic Fellowships)
- can reach the English proficiency level needed for postgraduate study or research at a UK institution
- They are committed to their studies, have experience in the discipline, and either have work experience or a demonstrated interest in their topic.
Each award includes:
- the full price of education
- A surcharge for NHS health services
- Passport costs
- a regular allowance for a full year.
- Return trip (economic fare).
It includes additional associated expenses, such as the IELTS exam fee and pre-sessional English classes (if applicable). If students are caring for others, more money is accessible.
What Can Disqualify You From Getting The British Council Scholarship For Women In STEM
- Having dual British citizenship disqualifies you from receiving a British Council Scholarship for Women in Science.
- Are a current or former employee of His Majesty’s Government (including British Embassies/High Commissions, the Department for Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy, the Department for International Trade, the Ministry of Defense, and the Home Office), or a relative of an employee of His Majesty’s Government?
- Are you a worker, a past worker, or a family member of a worker for a nation that qualifies for the British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM
- To qualify as a relative, one must be a parent, stepparent, sibling, child, stepchild, spouse, civil partner, or unmarried companion (where the couple has been in a relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership for at least two years).
- Currently have financial support or funding from another source to help you pay for your studies.
- Have previously received funding to study in the UK from a scholarship provided by the UK government or a financial bursary offered by a UK institution.
- Be a female (cis or trans) or identify as non-binary.
Benefits Of The British Council Scholarship For Women In STEM
- Academic standing: The UK’s universities are among the best in the world for STEM studies.
- Tuition, stipends, travel expenses, visa fees, and health insurance premiums are all examples of financial assistance.
- particular assistance for mothers
- English language assistance
How To Apply For The British Council Scholarship For Women In STEM
- Step 1: If you still need to, apply to an MBA program here in step one.
- Step 2: Complete and submit the online scholarship application form or download the WORD file.
23 April 2023 is the application deadline and the examination is scheduled from May 3–7, 2023.
Download the Application Form Here
British Council Scholarships For Women In STEM Frequently Asked Questions
What number of fellowships and bursaries are available?
There are three 12-month and one 6-month Fellowship and four 12-month MSc grants.
Does the Imperial College London collaborate with the British Council Scholarship For Women In STEM?
Yes, at Imperial College London, women engaged in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) are supported by the British Council for Women in STEM scholarships.
A small number of bursaries are being made available by Imperial College London in collaboration with the British Council to female students enrolled in programs that qualify who have a valid passport and are Egyptian permanent residents. The purpose of the scholarships is to help resolve the underrepresentation of women in STEM fields.
What is the British Council all about?
The British Council is the United Kingdom’s representative abroad for exchanges of cultures and educational possibilities. Through arts and culture, the English language, it helps people in the UK and other nations establish connections, understanding, and confidence.
More than 80 million people were personally reached last year, and there were 791 million people reached overall, including those reached online through broadcasts and publications.
Established in 1934, it is a UK charity governed by a royal charter and a UK public entity. The UK government provides a 15% core financing grant to it.
See the Chinese Government Scholarships CSC 2023
Conclusion On The British Council Scholarships For Women In STEM
Now that you know that the British Council scholarships for women in STEM are presently on, why don’t you try them now?