Cybersecurity, commonly referred to as computer security or IT security, is a specialized field of study that focuses on defending data and information from theft and harm to the hardware or software. Every system has a lot of crucial information stored in it. Thus, You must constantly protect it from theft or other threats lest it disrupts operations. The necessity for data protection and the need for experts in the industry are growing along with the value of data.
In the previous four years, the number of employment in cyber security has increased, making it a great career option. Computer science and information technology graduates might pursue a master’s degree in cyber security.
If you wish to know about the best universities in the UK for master in cybersecurity, then continue reading, as the next part of this article will do more justice to this!
See Best Universities In the UK For Masters
What Is Masters In Cybersecurity?
A 1-2 year curriculum in the UK called “Masters in Cyber Security” is focused on preventing cyber attacks.
Data protection, networks, operating systems, monitoring, and related topics are covered in the UK’s MS in Cyber Security program.
With the need to lessen cyber attacks, postgraduate courses in cyber security have been increasingly important over the past ten years.
Why Choose a UK MS in Cyber Security Program?
A master’s degree in cyber security can have a number of advantages in the UK. Among them are
- You can learn to take preventative measures against cyberattacks from a UK master’s program in cybersecurity. By monitoring systems and removing risks as they materialize, you will learn to safeguard computer operating systems, networks, and data with a Cybersecurity Master in the UK.
- In the past ten years, Masters in Cybersecurity in the UK has grown in popularity. This program will assist you in acquiring the computer skills necessary to thwart cyberattacks and safeguard individuals’ personal information. Most wealthy nations, as well as those in developing nations, view cybersecurity as a national priority requiring trained technicians.
- The UK is currently a leader in higher education for computer science and associated subjects. The UK’s MS in Cyber Security is highly regarded worldwide. You can get a job practically anywhere after receiving your MS in the UK.
- An MS guarantees a strong return on investment in Cyber Security.
- You can find leading universities for cyber security in the UK, where the research and technology infrastructure is of the highest calibre and is recognized internationally.
- In most UK universities, the program is only one year long, which aids students in finishing their coursework more quickly and finding employment more quickly.
- Several colleges provide placement years or internships for students studying cybersecurity.
- There is a huge need for qualified cybersecurity specialists in the UK, and employment is rising both in the mainstream IT sector and among prominent corporations. Over the next three years, there will likely be close to 100,000 new jobs, according to reports.
Entry Criteria for Cybersecurity in the UK
A second-class honours degree in computer science or a closely similar engineering field, or an upper second-class honours degree in computer science or a closely related engineering field, is the primary entry requirement for Cybersecurity in the UK.
They may also consider students with significant work experience and proof of the academic potential for the UK’s Masters in Cybersecurity program. Students must get a minimum passing grade of 50% to fulfil UK criteria for Masters’s in cybersecurity. It is crucial to remember that the criteria for a Master in Cybersecurity in the UK are subject to change each year because they are revised, so contact our professional counsellors for the most recent information.
Documentation Needed for a Masters in Cyber Security In the UK
Documentation is required for admission to the master’s program in cyber security in the UK. The following list includes some typical document specifications:
- transcripts for all academic records
- Letter of Recommendation or LOR, or Curriculum Vitae
- IELTS/TOEFL scorecards for the SOP, or Statement of Purpose
- A personal statement outlining why you chose to study MS Cyber Security in the UK. Include your area of expertise and any prior accomplishments you may have.
UK Cybersecurity Costs
For in-state students, the cost of cybersecurity in the UK is £8,000. The cost of a UK cyber security course can range from £13,000 to £23,000 for international students. It is significant to remember that the cost of cybersecurity in the UK may vary from university to university. It is also important to remember that the cost of a Masters’s in cybersecurity in the UK may change based on whether or not the students enrolled in full- or part-time courses.
When estimating the price of a Masters in Cybersecurity in the UK, students must take additional living, dining, library, laboratory, medical, and athletic expenses into account.
Best Universities In the UK For Master In Cybersecurity
1. University of Warwick
- Tuition fee: £29,950
One of the top universities in the UK offering master’s degrees in cyber security is the University of Warwick. The National Cyber Security Centre has designated it as an Academic Center of Excellence in Cyber Security Education (ACEs-CSE) (NCSC). This course is specially created for graduates wishing to comprehend or use cybersecurity in a consulting, strategic, commercial, or management setting.
2. University of Southampton
- Tuition fee:£28,00
One of the top master’s programs in UK cyber security is provided by the University of Southampton. The UK government has designated the program as an Academic Center of Excellence in Cyber Security Research. Both technical and non-technical topics are included in the course’s multidisciplinary approach.
3. Lancaster University
- Tuition fee: £25,700
The name of Lancaster University cannot be disregarded while talking about master’s programs in cyber security offered by UK universities. Their cyber security program aids in developing the knowledge, skill, and experience needed to meet the challenges of the modern world. The chance to work at the renowned ICT Center of Excellence, InfoLab21, throughout your degree is a big draw here.
4. York University
- Tuition fee: £24,500
The University of York’s Cyber Security course strongly focuses on using technical information for making smart cybersecurity choices. It also covers themes like managing risks, designing high-assurance systems, network security, trust and reputation, and cryptography.
5. University of Birmingham
- Tuition fee: £26,640
One of the top universities in the UK for a master’s degree in cyber security is the University of Birmingham. The institution has been named by the UK government’s NCSC-EPSRC an “Academic Centre of Excellence in Cyber Security Research” (ACE-CSR). Additionally, the program received full accreditation from GCHQ.
6. College of London University
- Tuition fee: £37,860
According to the total number of enrolled students, the University of College London is ranked as the third-largest university in the UK. It was one of the first institutions in London to admit students without regard to their faith when it was founded in 1826. It was also the first university to admit women. Furthermore, it offers 675 PG programs and 440 UG programs. Let’s investigate some of its other features.
7. University of Queen’s in Belfast
- Tuition fee: £27,099
This university provides a wide range of courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels in many different subjects. Since its founding in 1845, Queen’s University Belfast has been a centre of excellence because of its top-notch facilities and very knowledgeable faculty. Nobel Prize winners like Seamus Heaney and David Trimble are also former students of this esteemed university. In addition, Queen’s University alumni make up 80 of the 100 top-performing enterprises in Northern Ireland.
8. Royal Holloway College
- Tuition fee: £9,250
Royal Holloway is one of London’s top schools for MSc programs in cyber security. In 1985, Bedford College and Royal Holloway College, two prestigious colleges, merged to become the university. The university campus, which spans 135 acres, is regarded as one of the most beautiful campuses in the entire world.
The university’s emphasis is on a research-driven educational program, and its faculty is made up of highly accomplished academicians and subject-matter specialists.
9. Swansea University
- Tuition fee: £23,470
Since 1920, Swansea University has been a research-driven institution that has significantly impacted education. It is a premier location for higher education and for establishing a successful profession that is renowned for its academic accomplishments. It is ranked among the top 251-300 universities in the world and among the top 30 universities in the UK according to The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019. (Times Higher Education Rankings 2020).
Additionally, this institution has been acknowledged for its exceptional teaching and learning facilities/outcomes with a Gold award in the National Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) and the title of Welsh University of the Year 2019 and 2020.
10. University of Northumbria
- Tuition fee: £23,334
Northumbria University, formerly known as Newcastle Polytechnic, is an open-access institution of higher learning that was established in 1969 by the union of three local colleges: Rutherford College of Technology, the College of Art & Industrial Design, and the Municipal College of Commerce. In 1992, this university, connected to the Wallace Group, was recognized as a top university. On top of that, it emphasizes business and research-related fields.
When compared to other industries, the salary in cyber security is high. Graduates who earned their Cyber Security Master in London are paid well and receive promotions. Our UK education consultant has offered the wage range for entry-level positions in cyber security.
The UK’s average annual pay ranges from £50,000 to 80,000.
One of the top-paying occupations in the UK is available after earning an MSc in cyber security. The job satisfaction rate for cybersecurity professionals in 2019 was 71%. Specialists who work in various forms of cyber security have a global job satisfaction percentage of 84%.
Career Opportunities For Masters In Cyber Security
- Blockchain Developers: In the UK, the average yearly income for blockchain developers is £68,000. One of the best-paying positions in the cybersecurity industry is that of a blockchain developer who designs and develops cutting-edge systems in response to problems like hacking. Universities in the UK provide Masters’s in Cybersecurity programs that educate students on the top cybersecurity careers. The most sought-after careers for 2021 include blockchain developers. Blockchain design, web development, data structure expertise, the creation of smart contracts, and cryptography are all necessary qualifications for a blockchain developer.
- Cyber Security: The average yearly wage in the UK for a cyber security project manager is £56,608. The cyber security project manager position is ideal for graduates with expertise in cyber security who aspire to assume leadership responsibilities. The best career move might be to work in project management. Cybersecurity project managers oversee the creation of security systems to safeguard an organization’s resources, personnel, and data. They are responsible for ensuring that the appropriate strategy has been devised for deploying cyber security measures. The stakes in a project manager role for cyber security are high. Hence the best universities for MSc in Cybersecurity in the UK teach students several ways to manage huge teams and budgets.
- Expert in information security: £62,500 is the average yearly wage in the UK. Information cyber security analysts develop plans and tactics for preventing cyberattacks as part of their job duties. They act as guardians of private and sensitive data and ensure that rules and guidelines are followed. As a general matter, defending IT infrastructure from criminal activity is the responsibility of a cyber security analyst, who also monitors systems and networks while looking for risks, analyzing and assessing problems, and generally discovering concerns. Based on the threat’s danger, they will decide whether to resolve it or escalate it in the event of a finding.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you get a master’s in cyber security in the UK?
The UK is currently a leader in higher education for computer science and associated subjects. The UK’s MS in Cyber Security is highly regarded worldwide. You can get a job practically anywhere you want to after receiving your MS in the UK. 10 Nov 2022
Why pick a UK-based MSc in cyber security?
Students who want to pursue a specialized job in computer networking and information security systems and take an active part in the national cyber strategy may look into cyber security degrees in the UK. Courses on cyber security aid in developing an analytical and practical understanding of topics linked to cyber technology.
For cyber security, what master’s degree should I pursue?
While the Master of Science in Computer Networking focuses on developing secure computer networks, students pursuing a master’s in computer science can add a cyber security speciality to their degree program. Students may enrol in one or two classes per semester and neither degree needs a thesis or comprehensive exam.
What kind of master’s should I pursue in cyber security?
While the Master of Science in Computer Networking focuses on creating secure computer networks, students can add a cyber security speciality to their master’s in computer science. Students may enrol in one or two courses per semester for either degree, which does not need a thesis or comprehensive exam.
Is a cybersecurity master’s degree challenging?
The possibility exists. Strong math and computational abilities are necessary for a cybersecurity master’s degree completion. Although some students find their coursework difficult and complex, many others find it engaging and gratifying.
Who makes more money, data science or cyber security?
Jobs in data science and cybersecurity can offer chances to make a good living. Cybersecurity analysts often need more money than data scientists. Data scientists make an average yearly pay of $100,673, whereas cybersecurity analysts make an average yearly compensation of $83,817.
How can I succeed in the field of cybersecurity?
Firewalls, VPNs, Web proxies, and IDS/IPS should all be understood if you want to become a cybersecurity expert. You must know coding languages, including PHP, HTML, Python, and Java. You should be familiar with networking, routing protocols, and encryption methods.
Universities in the UK offer some of the greatest cybersecurity courses in the world, covering the most cutting-edge topics. The UK has some of the world’s most cutting-edge computing laboratories, infrastructure, academic institutions, and virtual lab facilities.