When you begin the application process for a university in the UK, you must first pass the IELTS exam. Taking the IELTS is crucial since it will determine whether or not you may stay in the UK.
Universities have no bearing on the criteria for English ability for student visa immigration. Nevertheless, did you know that there are several universities where you can enrol without taking the IELTS or even a different admissions test?
Stay glued if you really want to know the best universities in the UK without IELTS!
What Exactly Is IELTS?
The most widely used English language competence test for international migration and higher education is called the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). IELTS established the English language testing industry. IELTS is used by the governments of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the UK to evaluate immigration applications.
To assess the language proficiency of prospective international students, institutions all around the world employ the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), a standardized language assessment exam.
This examination has four sections: reading, writing, listening and speaking. After finishing the three-hour exam, students will receive a final score that accounts for all their fundamental English language abilities.
These tests are utilized in English-speaking nations like the UK to evaluate your language proficiency. Though only sometimes, this is the case. Furthermore, you can skip the IELTS test to enrol in a UK university. To discover more about it, keep reading.
Things to Consider or Verify When Applying to UK Universities Without IELTS.
All British/UK universities generally require IELTS. However, many British/UK colleges may use other methods to evaluate your English competence instead of standardized tests like IELTS, such as:
To avoid taking the IELTS, you must always verify that your university determines your English proficiency using several approaches.
Check to see if you attended a school where English was the language of instruction; the UK admissions committee may consider this as evidence of your English language ability.
How to Enroll in UK Studies Without IELTS?
IELTS is one of many tests a university can use to assess candidates’ English competence. UK institutions offer some options if you still need to take the IELTS exam. Let’s examine the IELTS replacement criterion that UK universities offer:
- Online interview: You can be asked to participate in an online interview by some colleges to gauge your level of English.
- Scores on the high school English exam: Some institutions will consider your high school grades rather than your IELTS score if you achieved an English proficiency level greater than 70%. However, colleges and universities have established their standards for certain courses.
- English major: If you majored in English while earning your undergraduate degree, you are exempt from taking the IELTS test.
- Pre-sessional English Course: As mentioned above, some universities provide pre-sessional English courses for students who wish to enroll in a degree or diploma program in the UK without taking the IELTS. Students can enroll in these courses after being accepted to their desired degree or diploma program.
Conditions for Eligibility
IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, and other English proficiency test results must be submitted as part of the application process if you want to study abroad, especially in a nation where English is the primary language. Like the UK, many academic institutions require IELTS scores for entrance, but there is a different approach to getting into an English university without presenting these results.
Yes, if you meet the following requirements, you can study in the UK without taking the IELTS exam:
- Proof of an English grade of at least 70% in high school (classes XI and XII) or a transcript from a brief English course
- Evidence showing your school uses English as its primary language of instruction.
- Participate in a university-sponsored online interview.
- English as a second language for undergraduates Enrolls in the university’s Pre-sessional English course before beginning your study instruction.
Best Universities In the UK Without IELTS
1. Sheffield Hallam University (SHU)
- Tuition fee: £15,860
South Yorkshire, England’s Sheffield, is home to Sheffield Hallam University (SHU), a public research institution. It has 30,960 students (out of which 4,400 are from abroad), 4,494 staff members, and 708 courses, making it the 14th-largest university in the UK (out of 169).
Alternatives to IELTS
You should submit your application to the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service directly for all UK universities (UCAS). By requesting an application form from firstname.lastname@example.org, you can instead preferentially apply to Sheffield Hallam University directly.
2. Warwick University
- Tuition fee:£27,060
The University of Warwick is an English public research university outside of Coventry that was established in 1965 and is situated between the West Midlands and Warwickshire.
Apart from IELTS, the university has now accepted certain additional online English language examinations to meet English language requirements, namely:
Language Cert (for admittance into postgraduate courses), TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition, PTE Academic online, and Duolingo. It is thus one of the UK universities that do not require IELTS.
3. University Of Basel
- Tuition fee:£1,668
One of the UK universities accepting international students who do not have IELTS is the University of Basel. It is known for its exceptional accomplishments in research and education on a global scale. The University of Basel, the oldest university in Switzerland and one with a 550-year success record, was founded in 1460.
In addition to IELTS, the University of Basel recognizes the following documents as proof of English language proficiency:
- Cambridge English Language Proficiency Certificate (CPE)
- Advanced English Cambridge Certificate (CAE)
- Higher Level Certificate in Cambridge Business English (BEC higher)
- First Certificate in English from Cambridge (FCE)
- based on the TOEFL paper
- Computerized TOEFL test
- online TOEFL test
4. Birmingham City University
- Tuition fee: £20,760
The university recognizes a variety of English language credentials as proof of fluency in the language. The International Center for English at the University verifies the compliance of each of these credentials.
IELTS is one of many English proficiency tests that are recognized. The university also accepts the following:
- BCU English Proficiency Test Pearson Test of English – Academic Pearson Test of English – Academic ONLINE
- IBT TOEFL (if taken at a test centre outside the UK)
- Language Certificate for the TOEFL iBT Home Edition SELT B2 for ESOL in Europe Academic language C1
- Cambridge English: Advanced/CAE, formerly known as Cambridge C1 Advanced
- Cambridge English: Proficiency/CPE, formerly known as Cambridge C2 Proficiency
- English-language PSI Skills Test (Levels B1, B2, C1 and C2)
5. University Of Swansea
- Tuition fee: £9000
Students must demonstrate a specific degree of proficiency in English as a requirement. Although there are some exceptions, most university departments demand an IELTS score of 6.5 for postgraduate degrees.
For some courses, there are also particular English language requirements. In some university programmes, IELTS is not required. They do, however, accept a variety of different English language exams. Therefore, international students without IELTS may be admitted.
6. University of Northampton
- Tuition fee: £9,250
International students at the University of Northampton must possess a certificate in English language proficiency. IELTS is a requirement for students who want to study nursing and social work. However, they accept alternative English credentials for admission to their degree programs. London education without IELTS. The following alternative English certifications:
- Cambridge Assessment for A-level English IGCSE, English GSCE, and English EB
- Foreign language proficiency test administered by LanguageCert International (B2) (C1)
- Michigan Test of English (MET)
- Toefl Academic Pearson PTE iBT
7. University Of Geneva
- Tuition fee: £900
- iBT TOEFL
- Results for the TOEFL
- paper-based PTE Academic WAEC/O-Level (minimum of 6 passes)
8. Aston University, Birmingham
- Tuition fee: £19,950
For admission, applicants must meet the university’s English language standards. The program for which you are applying will determine your level of proficiency. Aston University in Birmingham offers study abroad programs without IELTS. The university, however, recognizes a variety of English Language credentials, including:
- Academic TOEFL PTE
- Password for the TOEFL iBT for home
- Duolingo English Test (For admission to direct entry and pre-sessional English programs.
- International Language Cert ESOL SELT
- Kaplan English Language Teaching Resources (KITE)
9. Bolton University
- Tuition fee: £9,250
For admission to degree-level or higher courses where proof of English language ability is necessary, the University of Bolton currently recognizes the following credentials:
- English GCSE/O-Level grade C from a UK awarding organization
- Grade C/C3 or above on the Irish Leaving Certificate’s Ordinary Level in English
- Irish Higher Level Leaving Certificate A D/D2 or above in English
- C on the IGCSE’s English as a First Language scale.
- C on the IGCSE for English as a Second Language
- International Baccalaureate (Standard Level grade 5/Higher Level grade 4 in English)-based TOEFL with an overall score of 72 for undergraduate study and 79 for graduate study, including 17 in listening, 20 in writing, 18 in reading, and 18 in speaking
- Grade C in Cambridge Advanced English (minimum of “poor” in all four areas) (listening, reading, speaking and writing)
- There may be a consideration for WAEC/NECO grade C6 or higher (English-only instruction). The university is conveniently listed among UK universities that don’t require IELTS.
10. Central Lancashire University
- Tuition fee: £9,000
In Preston, Lancashire, England, there is a public institution called the University of Central Lancashire, a university in the UK without IELTS.
Preston Polytechnic and Harris Art College were two names used to refer to the 1828-founded institution. In 1992, university status was awarded to the Lancashire Polytechnic. Regarding enrollment, the university ranks as the 19th largest in the UK.
11. University Of Robert Gordon
- Tuition fee: £9,500
English language proficiency testing is available from RGU. It is possible to take this test at set times on the RGU campus or online in a safe environment.
This test’s hearing, speaking, writing, and reading portions measure the candidates’ proficiency in the English language.
(89This test is written and scored to give the university an equivalence score for each of the four components and an overall score; it is not an IELTS test.
Robert Gordon University is one of the best universities in the UK for international students who do not have IELTS.
Along with TOFEL iBT and PTE, RGU also accepts the West African Senior School Certificate (WAEC)-English at C6 level and above and the Nigerian Examinations Council (NECO)-English at C6 level and above.
12. Northumbria University
- Tuition fee: £9,000
To enrol at Northumbria, you must pass a university-recognized English language test like the IELTS. The institution also accepts PTE Academic or its equivalent for admission to its foundational, undergraduate, or graduate programs.
Depending on the course of study, different grades are needed for undergraduate and graduate programs.
13. London South Bank University
- Tuition fee: £9250
The London South Bank University may not require IELTS, depending on the type and level of your study.
It recognizes a wide range of international credentials and specifies the following English proficiency test as a substitute for IELTS.
In addition to the IELTS, You must meet the following English language requirements to enrol in LSBU:
- Reading, Listening, Writing, and Speaking Skills on the TOEFL iBT, which demands an overall score of 80, are all required.
- Obtaining a 56 total score on the Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic) is required.
- Each skill must receive a minimum score on the Language Cert SELT or International ESOL (IESOL) Exam.
- You must pass all four components of the Trinity ISE with excellence.
- Grade C in English Language at A Level or AS Level (GCSE, O-Level, or IGCSE; Edexcel or Cambridge Overseas Exams)
Can I Obtain a Student Visa For The United Kingdom Without IELTS?
Yes, obtaining a study permit for the UK without taking the IELTS exam is possible as long as you can provide the immigration authorities proof that the university to which you have been admitted has determined that you qualify for such a permit. For a UK study visa without IELTS, the following criteria are essential:
- A statement on a paper from your university attesting that you are eligible to apply for a study visa in the UK even if you still need to take the IELTS exam.
- A letter from the UK university confirms your acceptance.
- In addition, applicants may take the Secure English Language Test (SELT), which is required by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI), as acceptable evidence of English language proficiency instead of IELTS.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which UK university doesn’t demand IELTS?
International applicants are welcome to apply to many UK universities without submitting IELTS results. These universities include, among others, Swansea University, Birmingham City University, London Southbank University, University of Basel, and Sheffield Hallam University.
I need IELTS to obtain a student visa.
Finding a university that offers programs without the need for IELTS scores is the first step in obtaining a student visa without them. The next step is to apply there. Once you receive the acceptance letter, proceed with the application for a student visa as necessary.
Do I need an IELTS to work in the UK?
You can submit your bachelor’s or master’s level academic records as proof that you received a grade point average of at least 70% in school or college if you want to apply for a UK work visa without taking the IELTS.
I need IELTS to be eligible for a scholarship in the UK.
A certificate of English competence is available for applicants from their previous universities. The university letter should say that the applicant has finished all English-language coursework. You may use the university’s letter form in place of the IELTS certificate.
Check out Latest UK Study Visa Requirements
The UK is one of the top destinations for overseas students pursuing higher education. More than 450,000 international students attend almost 400 universities in the UK.
However, a few choices are available if you want to apply to a UK institution without taking the IELTS exam. Therefore, it would be great if you were to remember that exceptional written and vocal English language abilities are required if you want to study in the UK without taking the IELTS exam.
You can study at any of the universities listed above and get started!