Cyprus is a fantastic option for international students because of the high quality and reasonable cost of the educational system there. Cyprus’s universities offer a wide range of degrees to their students, from bachelor’s to master.
Students can be confident that the teaching methods used are of high quality and will be beneficial once they graduate and receive a degree because the nation has chosen to invest more in its educational system. We’ll focus on some of the best universities in Cyprus for international students in this section.
How Does The Educational System In Cyprus Works?
The few students who travel to Cyprus to pursue their master’s and bachelor’s degrees will find that the island nation has a lot to offer, including stunning landscapes, affordable costs, a rich history, and delicious cuisine.
You will have time to travel around the tiny island outside of class, taking in its fascinating scenery and distinctive history.
You’ll be required to participate in class consistently and come prepared. In Cyprus, conversations in class do occur occasionally, but in other subjects, it is strictly lecture-based. On the first day of class, be sure to have a clear understanding of your expectations. The end-of-class tasks and assessments will also be given to pupils. You could have to write extensive research articles or perhaps finish a thesis, depending on the program or subject.
Why Study In Cyprus
- Budget-Friendly Education: The education system in Cyprus is still open to international students who desire to study in Europe but are concerned about the price. In general, annual tuition costs range from €3,000 to €8,000, with €5,000 to €10,000 being the range for master’s degrees. Depending on the university, many scholarships are available to students from abroad. There are also government-funded scholarships available, which typically cover 10 to 20 per cent of the tuition for postgraduate international students with outstanding academic credentials.
- Good Education: During the 2018–2019 academic school year, about 20,000 foreign students from other countries attended Cyprus universities, while close to 7,000 attended higher education institutions. With 53% of students coming from other EU member countries or non-EU countries, non-Cypriot students now exceed Cypriot students at universities for the first time. The Cyprus Agency of Quality Assurance and Accreditation in Higher Education works hard to strengthen quality assurance practices on both a domestic and international level, as well as to raise the general level of competition in Cyprus’ higher education sector.
- Positive Course Design: Despite being a part of the EU, the majority of colleges are set up to resemble educational programs in the United States, offering students more freedom to pursue their chosen fields of study. European educational structure models are only followed by a small number of educational institutions. According to Cyprus’ Ministry of Education and Culture, intellectual capital is the nation’s most precious resource. While simultaneously establishing agreements with other nations to guarantee that all of its programs are approved and recognized internationally, the Cypriot government makes considerable investments in education.
- Accommodations: Affordably priced places to live and work include Cyprus. Numerous on-campus housing choices and rentals are offered in all major cities, with prices to suit any budget. Many student housing development projects totalling about 27.2 million euros are already under construction as housing demand rises as a result of an increase in the number of foreign students enrolling. In addition, it is anticipated that by year’s end, there would be over 2,000 new student accommodations on campus.
- Language: Interested in attending a university in Cyprus but worried that you need to speak another language to do so? In addition to offering a variety of programs with English-taught courses for overseas students, many colleges on the island have a large English-speaking student body. You must pass an exam like the TOEFL or IELTS if English is not your first language. To help foreign students learn English more effectively, certain university programs offer English language instruction before the commencement of the study programs.
Have you read Best Medical Universities In Cyprus 2023
What Qualifications Are Needed To study In Cyprus?
To apply as an undergraduate in Cyprus, you most likely need to have completed high school or an equivalent institution. Check the admission requirements before you apply as each university or program may have its requirements. The bulk of courses is offered in Turkish or Greek in Cyprus, although more and more universities are also offering English courses. Universities require confirmation of ability before enrolment, however, students with insufficient English proficiency may be given a month of intense language instruction.
You may be required to provide proof of your English language proficiency when applying to one of the increasing numbers of programs taught in English. If you have any questions about whether you must have taken the TOEFL or IELTS or what score you must have, contact the university before submitting your application.
Best Universities In Cyprus For International Students
1. Cyprus University
- Tuition fee: £13,000
2. University of the Eastern Mediterranean
- Tuition fee: £15,000
The Eastern Mediterranean University was established in 1979 and is a member of the family of higher education facilities in Cyprus. It is situated in Northern Cyprus in the town of Gazimagusa. There are more than one hundred undergraduate, graduate, and doctorate degrees available. The faculty offers a wide range of educational disciplines, from social sciences to technical research, and the subjects are taught in both Turkish and English.
3. University of Nicosia
- Tuition fee: £6,480
In 1980, Nicosia University was established. It is situated in Nicosia and is renowned for being the biggest institution of higher learning in the entire nation. Business, economics, and management are the university’s main areas of study. The University of Nicosia, one of Cyprus’s most esteemed institutions of higher learning, also provides additional social science, law, medical, and engineering degrees. It would be a wise choice for foreign students who want to gauge their proficiency in more recent subjects, such Master of Science in Digital Currency.
4. Cyprus European University
- Tuition fee: £21,000
The European University of Cyprus is the oldest school of higher learning in the nation, having been founded in 1961. It offers options for undergraduate and graduate degrees and has more than 6000 students living there in Cyprus’ Nicosia District. The domains of high-tech innovation and technology are where the graduates typically work.
5. Cyprus Of University Technology
- Tuition fee: £30,000
The Cyprus University of Technology, as implied by its name, focuses on educating students in the scientific disciplines of geotechnical sciences, environmental management, health sciences, engineering, and technology. In addition, this esteemed university in Cyprus is active in its partnerships with other universities and worldwide projects, making it the best option for students from other countries.
6. Girne American Universities
- Tuition fee: £6,275
The Girne Amerikan Universitesi was established in 1985 and offers higher education in an American style. The Girne American University, which is situated in Kyrenia, North Cyprus, has a sizable staff that instructs students in a variety of areas, including engineering, architecture, design, education, and communication. The institution is home to various worldwide academic organizations, as well as multiple research centres.
7. Frederick University
- Tuition fee: £12,960
One of the first private universities in Cyprus was Frederick University. Frederick University, which was founded in 1965, offers its students possibilities in the arts, sciences, and engineering. Students who decide to enrol in the university have the option of taking undergraduate and graduate courses. The institution also offers studies in maritime and oil & gas.
8. Cyprus University of Central Lancashire
Tuition fee: £14,250
The University of Central Lancashire, which was founded in England, has a branch campus in Cyprus. The initial campus was established in 1828, and it has since grown to include numerous campuses all across the world. One such campus, thought to be the sole private British university in Cyprus, is located there.
As a result, this university will be a wise alternative for students from outside seeking a university with a global perspective.
9. Universitas Neapolis Paphos
Tuition fee: £4,925
One of the best institutions in Cyprus for foreign students is the Neapolis University Paphos. It was founded in 2007 and is renowned for providing courses in the graduate departments of business, law, religion, and the social sciences. This private school offers up-to-date, suitable programs and facilities for an excellent education.
10. Cyprus Institute
- Tuition fee: £13,000
The Cyprus Institute, which was established in 2005, is one of many colleges and universities that focuses on offering instruction in the sciences and technologies. The Cyprus Institute is a non-profit research organization with the mission of creating research hubs that address global issues and can generate qualified scientists and technologists as leaders.
Cyprus International Student Visa
If they are non-EU nationals and intend to study abroad in Cyprus, they must apply for a Cyprus student visa. Cyprus student visas are issued in roughly a month and are only good for a year before they need to be renewed. The cost of a student visa for Cyprus ranges from 15 to 30 pounds. You must submit an application for a student visa to Cyprus at the Cyprus Immigration office after finishing the university admissions procedure. Your application for a student visa to Cyprus must include all required documentation in English. 20 hours per week of employment are permitted for international students.
Send the following records with your application for a student visa to Cyprus:
- a current passport
- academic credentials
- Medical travel insurance
- Acknowledged accommodation
- police clearance document
- evidence that you have enough money to cover the entire stay
- properly completed application for a student visa in Cyprus
- Acceptance letter from the institution in Cyprus, four recent passport photos with a white background
If you intend to stay and study in Cyprus for longer than 90 days after arriving with a student visa, you must apply for a Temporary Cyprus Residence Permit. To obtain a temporary residency permit in Cyprus, go to the migration department of Cyprus.
Cyprus’s Education System is Open to Foreign Students
Bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees are the three degrees offered by Cyprus’ educational system. Three governmental institutions and six private universities in Cyprus offer several in-demand courses to visitors. The establishment of the Cyprus Agency of Quality Assurance and Accreditation by the Cypriot government to boost the standard and competitiveness of the higher education industry is one of the noteworthy educational reforms to be mentioned.
Citizens of Cyprus and the EU are not charged tuition at public universities. To attend public universities in Cyprus, international students must pay tuition. In addition, the Cyprus government controls and funds all public universities. In Cyprus, private organizations manage the private universities, which adhere to the rules established by the minister of higher education. Private institutions in Cyprus provide flexible study schedules, a practical curriculum, and top-notch student support services to international students who choose to enrol there.
Frequently Asked Questions
How content with their decision to study in Cyprus are foreign students?
Some universities in Cyprus have chosen to offer education through electronic means since e-learning has become more popular in most nations. According to a survey, colleges are constantly working to improve their offerings to satisfy the demands of the most recent educational requirements, even though online education has not been as innovative as traditional learning. In general, students in Cyprus are happy with the quality of education, especially given that the educational institutions are making every effort to change with the changes. To benefit from the best education Cyprus has to offer, international students should anticipate that the colleges they choose will provide them with cutting-edge teaching techniques.
Can international students who are studying in Cyprus also work there?
As long as they are enrolled full-time, international students may work while attending accredited universities in Cyprus. They can only work up to 20 hours per week in the following industries: Manufacturing, Household Activities, Health and Social Services, Trade-Repair, Agriculture-Animal Husbandry-Fishery, Food Industry, Hotels, Restaurants, and Recreational Facilities.
How much does college in Cyprus cost?
International students find Cyprus to be one of the most economical study locations, and Cyprus’ cost of living is relatively lower than that of other European nations. Cyprus’s higher education institutions are free to determine their tuition rates, which vary depending on the university, the subject, and the length of the course.
For overseas students studying in Cyprus, the monthly cost of living ranges from 250 to 700 euros. Students on a low budget may want to consider sharing housing and taking public transportation. Because eating out can be expensive, instructors encourage students to prepare their meals.
How long does it take to obtain a student visa for Cyprus?
Within five to ten working days after you submit your visa application, it should be processed. This could take up to a month, though, during busier seasons of the year. It’s best to give yourself plenty of time because the processing of your residence permit could take an additional 3 months.
What is the length of time it takes to get a student visa to Cyprus?
Your visa application should be processed five to ten working days after you submit it. Nevertheless, at the busy times of the year, this could take up to a month. It’s best to allow plenty of time as getting your residence permit can take an additional three months.
Does a Cyprus student visa allow for travel to other EU nations?
No, a student or other type of visa from Cyprus does not allow you to travel to any nation that is a part of the Schengen area because Cyprus is not yet a member of the agreement.
You can, however, visit Romania, Bulgaria, and Croatia, all of which are currently members of the EU and will soon become part of Schengen.
How much does a student visa for Cyprus cost?
The price of a student visa for Cyprus is €20. It takes around a month to process your application and get your visa. Costing €70, a temporary residence visa for Cyprus. Within three months, you ought to learn whether your application has been approved.
Studying at Cyprus University is beneficial in many ways. You can study in any of the best universities for cyprus students listed in this article