Our daily lives would not be the same without computer science or computing, which helps us improve the world. Computing knowledge may easily handle difficult, complex problems with only one click. Such is the need for computer experts and computer science degrees.
The majority of the world’s top institutions now have a fully functional computer science department with a wide range of programs. Here, the USA is not an exception.
Obtaining a degree from one of the top computer science universities in the USA offers the chance to develop professionally while being guided by top authorities in the subject.
If you’re looking for the best universities to have your computer science degree in the USA, then you should continue reading this article!
Why Is The USA The Greatest Place To Study Computer Science?
The following is a list of the benefits of enrolling at one of the top US colleges for computer science:
- Excellent future prospects in the discipline thanks to the nation’s prowess and expansion in information technology and related spheres, as is evidenced by the existence of some of the world’s top computer science colleges
- Excellent job prospects, and over the next ten years, hiring is expected to rise quickly.
- A stimulating classroom with creative modules and enough flexibility.
How to Select the Best Universities in the USA For Computer Science
Let’s first examine the major considerations to keep in mind while selecting your ideal university before delving into the top colleges in the USA for computer science. Research is essential before deciding on one of the CS colleges in the USA because you will be spending a lot of time, effort, and money to study computer science there. You could do this by keeping in mind the following standards:
- The QS World University Rankings are a powerful indicator of a university’s programs, culture, accomplishments, etc. These rankings give you a good idea of the general standard of education and career opportunities you may expect from a certain college or university.
- Subjects: The academic field or subject you intend to study will have a significant impact on the institutions you choose. Before making a choice, verify the subject facts on the official university website, including the curriculum, research opportunities, placements, and other relevant factors.
- Tuition: Different universities charge different amounts for tuition at their computer science programs for Indian students. Check the fees they charge for studying in addition to the information about the course. Cost is, after all, a major consideration for everyone interested in studying abroad, and keeping track of it beforehand will help you better manage your funds.
- Location: Who wouldn’t want to reside where they choose while attending a foreign university? The whole experience of studying abroad is greatly influenced by the location of your university. Therefore, to avoid any confusion later, don’t forget to explore the location and neighborhood surrounding your university.
Best Universities For Computer Science In The USA’s Admissions Process
For a bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science at one of the best colleges in the USA, prospective students must submit an application to the school of their choice and follow the processes listed below:
Check the university’s website frequently to learn when the application forms become available.
- Recognize the deadlines and admissions for their applications.
- GRE, GMAT, IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, or any other entry exam recommended by the university are necessary English proficiency examinations.
- To submit with the application, keep the following documents close to hand:
- Application cost payable by bank check or demand draft
- 10+2 or a comparable certificate, or official academic transcripts
- IELTS, TOEFL, PTE Academic, as well as GRE and GMAT score reports
- Purpose Statement (SOP)
- Recommendation letter or letters
- Digital copies of the passport’s first and last pages
- A current resume/CV
- Work history letter (if any)
Best Universities In USA For Computer Science
There are several options available in the USA if you want to pursue a computer science undergraduate or graduate degree. Let’s look at the best universities for students studying computer science in the USA:
- Cornell University
- Columbia University
- Los Angeles University of California (UCLA) UCLA
- Washington University
- Princeton University
- Harvard University
- Berkeley, California, University (UCB)
- The University of Carnegie Mellon
- Stanford University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
- Johns Hopkins University
- The University of Yale
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Northwestern University
- Pennsylvania University
1. Cornell University
- Tuition fee: $29,500
Cornell University, a member of the famous Ivy League, is currently rated 19th in the world for computer science after receiving a high H-index rating.
Its computer science department is one of the nation’s oldest of its kind, having been founded in 1965. The university, which is based in Ithaca, operates Cornell Tech, a graduate campus in New York City that focuses on technology.
2. Columbia University
- Tuition fee:$70,000
Columbia University, which is also located in the state of New York, is ranked 18th overall and received its highest rating in the indicator of research citations per manuscript.
The majority of Columbia University’s computer science graduates work in the private or public sectors. Others decide to pursue jobs in business administration, medicine, or other professional fields, or to continue their study.
3. Los Angeles University of California (UCLA) UCLA
- Tuition fee: $31,026
The University of California, Los Angeles ranks 17th internationally and eighth in the US for computer science (UCLA). UCLA receives high marks for the majority of the measures, especially the H-index and research citations per paper indicators, which represent the caliber of the school’s scholarly output.
A part of UCLA’s Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science, its computer science staff is educated there. Due to the fact that the university’s Boelter Hall hosted the first transmission of the future internet in 1969, it is known as “the birthplace of the internet.”
4. Washington University
- Tuition fee: $29,790
The University of Washington is now the seventh-best university in the US this year, moving up three spots to 15th overall. The H-index and research citations per paper indicators give the school its highest grade.
In 1967, the inter-college graduate program that would become the college of computer science and engineering at the University of Washington was founded.
Research is frequently conducted by undergraduate students, and over the past 10 years, 33 of them at this university have won the Computing Research Association Undergraduate Research Award.
5. Princeton University
- Tuition fee: $57,410
Princeton University is the sixth-ranked university in the US and is ranked 14th in the world for computer science. The university does exceptionally well in the indices for research citations per paper and the H-index, earning nearly flawless scores across all the metrics.
The school’s School of Engineering and Applied Science, where 1,900 students are enrolled, includes the computer science department of Princeton University.
The “father of computer science,” Alan Turing, as well as the founder and CEO of Amazon, Jeff Bezos, and computer scientists Alonzo Church and John von Neumann are also graduates.
#6. University of Harvard
- Tuition fee: $95,000
United States’ Harvard University is ranked fifth in the UK and seventh overall in the world. The John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences includes a computer science department there (founded in 1847, with computer science courses available from 1984).
The creators of Microsoft, Bill Gates, and Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, both of whom are well-known for having “dropped out” of Harvard to pursue their careers, are two prominent technological moguls who attended the university.
Also Read: Best Universities In USA For Medicine
7. University Of California, Berkley
- Tuition fee: $31,026
In terms of computer science rankings this year, the University of California, Berkeley is placed fourth in the US and fifth worldwide. Berkeley combines its School of Computer Science with that of electrical engineering, similar to MIT.
Eleven Berkeley alumni and ten former and current academic members, including Douglas Engelbart, have received the Turing Award, also known as the “Nobel Prize in computers.”
8. The University of Carnegie Mellon
- Tuition fee: $26,160
The Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based Carnegie Mellon University, which offers a computer science course, ranks third in the US. The top university in the US for this indicator, Carnegie Mellon University, receives a flawless score for the academic reputation indicator.
The Gates and Hillman Centers, a $98 million facility that debuted in 2009 and received LEED Gold certification for its high levels of sustainability, is home to the school’s School of Computer Science.
9. Stanford University
- Tuition fee: $75,000
Stanford University, which is ranked second for computer science both domestically and internationally, stands out among these top US colleges due to its proximity to the renowned Silicon Valley in California, which is home to many of the largest high-tech businesses in the world.
Stanford’s School of Engineering houses the Department of Computer Science, which was established in 1965.
10. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Tuition fee: $28,795
The world’s top computer science program is once again offered by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). The largest department at MIT is a combination of the electrical engineering and computer science departments.
The university is highly known for its cutting-edge research in this field, and its computer science teachers and researchers have significantly advanced the fields of robotics, artificial intelligence, machine learning, computer languages, and cryptography.
This year, MIT receives the highest rating possible in the indicator of workplace reputation.
11. Johns Hopkins University
- Tuition fee: $62,000
Without mentioning Johns Hopkins University, a conversation in American computer science universities for international students is lacking.
Different computer science courses are offered in the United States at the Homewood campus in Baltimore by the computer science division of the Whiting School of Engineering (WSE) of Johns Hopkins University.
You can choose CS from both the bachelor’s and master’s degrees in either the arts or the sciences.
12. The University of Yale
- Tuition fee: $60,000
Yale University offers top-notch undergraduate and graduate computer science education through tight departmental cooperation.
The computer science department at this university has long maintained close relationships with various academic fields, including psychology, linguistics, economics, medicine, physics, and others, in addition to mathematics and engineering.
Yale University is the ideal pick if you’re interested in the greatest computer science program in the US.
13. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Tuition fee:$60,000
With top-tier faculty and students pursuing cutting-edge research in areas like artificial intelligence, pervasive and cloud computing, chip and device architectures, big data, machine learning, precision medicine, security and privacy, and many other fields, the University of Michigan continue to be one of the most dynamic and forward-thinking top computer science colleges in the US.
It also emphasizes disciplines like physics, engineering, and medicine.
14. Northwestern University
- Tuition fee:$60,000
For extremely interdisciplinary computer science instruction and research, Northwestern University’s Department of Computer Science is the perfect hub. It belongs to the top colleges in the US for computer science.
Students and professors at Northwestern’s top-ranked schools have the capacity to expand the possibilities of computer science thanks to numerous cross-disciplinary collaborations. One of the top CS universities in the US, without a doubt.
15. Pennsylvania University
- Tuition fee: $80,000
The School of Engineering and Applied Sciences at the University of Pennsylvania has a Department of Computer and Information Science that offers computer science courses.
The world’s first electrical, large-scale, digital computer, the ENIAC, was created in 1946 at Penn Engineering, which is also known as the “cradle of the modern computer.” Two undergraduate degrees are available, and six graduate degrees are available in total.
Eligibility Requirements For Top Computer Science Universities In The USA
The following are some requirements for admission to the top computer science programs in American universities:
- Candidates should hold an undergraduate degree in the topic or another relevant field of study with a minimum GPA of 3 on a scale of 1–4, in order to be considered for admission to a master’s program.
- You should receive a higher secondary education grade of at least 60–70%.
- Should have studied computer science, general mathematics, calculus, and physics earlier in my education
- The optimal GRE score range is between 292 and 328.
- Students should achieve the required levels on English language proficiency exams like the TOEFL or IELTS.
Career Opportunities In Computer Science
Nearly every industry in the world has a high demand for workers with computer science skills. Additionally, increased financing in this field is a result of the high caliber of instruction offered at computer science universities in the USA.
Given the remarkable specialization and variety of the job sector, the increase in financing for computer science draws many international students.
Due to the financial rewards, the freedom of location and application, the stability and security of work, and the field’s financial benefits, computer science is one of the most promising disciplines of study for overseas students in the USA. After earning a degree in computer science, the applicant can create a career in one of the following fields:
- Senior Software Engineer
- Software Developer
- Software Development Manager
- Programmer Analyst
- Software Architect
- Application Support Analyst
- Systems Developer
- Web Developer
- Software Development Engineer, Test (SDET)
- Engineer for Systems (IT)
- Analyst for computer systems and software
- Administrator of databases (DBA)
- Program Manager for Systems Administration, IT
- IT Network Administrator
- Systems Analyst
- Information Technology Specialist
- IT Business Analyst
- Network Engineer
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a demand for computer science in the USA?
Yes, in the USA, demand for computer science has consistently been high, and is anticipated to continue doing so. In comparison to other occupations, the field of computer science and information technology is expected to grow by 13% from 2016 to 2026, according to a prediction by the U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
What position in computer science pays the most?
Computer hardware engineers, software developers, project managers, database administrators, and IT consultants are a few of the highest-paying positions in the field in the USA.
How much will it cost to attend the top USA institutions for computer science in 2023?
The average cost of attending the top computer science universities in the USA in 2022 is between 40,000 and 60,000 USD.
What courses are taught at the top CS universities in the US?
The top CS schools in the US provide graduate and undergraduate programs with a range of specialities.
Can I enroll in a CS program in the US without a GRE or work history?
Yes, the greatest universities for computer science in the USA do not require the GRE or work experience.
Are the best colleges for computer science in the US good?
Yes. The greatest computer science universities in the USA offer top-notch instruction and hands-on training. The CS programs in the USA prepare students to be the best in their fields through their curriculum and research interests.
The USA differs from other nations due to its top-ranked universities, world-class universities, flexible study programs, intriguing research, and specialties, among other things.
Computer science expertise is constantly in demand since technology develops and evolves swiftly with each passing year.
You can start your career by attending any of the top universities in the USA for computer science.
others read: What Do I Need To Study In The USA